1. I resolved to wear everything in my closet. This is the resolution I thought about the most. Ironically, it’s also the one that I failed the most at. I’ve always had an issue getting rid of things, and my failure with this resolution showed me that it’s something I really need to work at.
2. Secondly, I resolved only to buy unique things. When I was writing this, what I really meant was that I wanted to buy a cool leather/ fur (fake, of course) jacket. Which I actually did! Actually, I just put fake fur onto the sleeves of a jacket, but it’s all relative. I’m giving myself a check for this resolution.
3. Thirdly, I decided that I wasn’t going to get outfit jealousy. For the most part, I actually did okay with this. I’m really proud of that. It was easier than I thought it would be because…
4. I also resolved to wear outfits outside of my comfort zone. I wore some out there stuff (skirts layered with dresses, witchy ensembles, faux jumpsuits… you get the picture). But, my comfort zone in my sartorial choices has expanded, making it harder to wear something I’m not comfortable in. That, I think, is the best possible outcome of this resolution.
5. My hair! I resolved to cut it, and I did! For those of you who don’t know, I used to have very, very long hair. Then, last February, I cut it off into a pixieish bob! I actually just cut it again. I love having short hair, and I’m so glad that I cut it. It gave me a fresh start this year, and it’s the best feeling.
6. Finally, I resolved to keep up with No Longer Grey. And I think this is the resolution that I’ve done the best with. Through No Longer Grey, I’ve had the most fun. I made a capsule collection. I worked with Dress Link and Warby Parker. I celebrated my one year blog-anniversary. I had a blog glitch, posed by graffiti, made daisy jeans, frolicked in a field, wrote about my favorite NYC thrift shops, and posed under an apple tree. I got to know some of you. That last one was the best part. Thank you all for making this the best year!
So what’s up for 2016?
1. I’m going to get rid of the clothing that no longer sparks happiness (and most of the ones I didn’t wear last year). I know I’ll feel a lot better with a more organized and open closet.
2. On a similar theme, I’m only going to buy things that truly spark happiness. And, I’m going to try to buy more sustainable fashion, be it from thrift stores, Everlane, or through other channels. Sustainability is something that has been becoming increasingly important to me, so it feels only right to put my thoughts into actions, and fight for a better world.
3. This resolution is something I didn’t share with you all last
year, but it has actually been a resolution of mine for the past three years. I’m not going to wear the same outfit to school twice. By now, it’s a habit, but it’s still a fun one. Let me know if you guys want a whole post on this subject!
4. I’m going to wear outfits that truly represent me. This year, I realized that I fall in love with someone else’s style, and then dress like them for a week, or even for a month. I want to stop that, and wear things that really make me feel like, well, me.
5. I’m going to figure out how to get that perfect messy french girl hair. It’s going to happen (see right)
6. This year, I’m going to make No Longer Grey into the best that it can be. And that sounds vague, and poorly thought out, but I know that it’s going to happen. I’m going to stick with it. Thank you all for your support, and I hope I see you back again here next year! Same time, same place, right? Right.